The Western Maryland Shrine Club started in 1910, when it had begun to appear that the growth of Boumi Shriners was spreading to parts of Maryland far away from Baltimore. This club had phenomenal growth as class after class of candidates came from Cumberland and Western Maryland. In 1925 Boumi Temple surpassed the 5, 000 member count including the Shriners belonging to the Western Maryland Shrine Club, Eastern Shore Shrine Club, Frederick Red Fez Club and Hagerstown Shrine Club. In 1923 the Western Maryland Shrine Club had grown so big it was seeking to become a Temple by itself.
At the Imperial Session in Washington, DC in 1923 over 75 Shriners from Western Maryland marched with Boumi Temple while carrying a petition in their pockets for creation of “Ali Ghan Temple.” The petition was presented but not granted at the 1923 session. They tried again in 1924 at the Imperial Session in Kansas City, but again their petition was rejected. During the 1925 Imperial Session in Los Angeles, California on June 4th, Western Maryland’s petition was granted and Ali Ghan Temple was formed with jurisdiction in Garrett, Allegany, Washington (including Hagerstown) counties and concurrent jurisdiction with Boumi in Frederick County. That jurisdiction is the same today.
Ali Ghan’s current building’s cornerstone was laid by Ohr Lodge No. 131 A.F. & A.M. August 26, 1938 and the Temple opened in November 1938.
Hagerstown Shrine Club was chartered on February 1, 1921 with Boumi Temple until 1926 when it was transferred to Ali Ghan and continues to provide residents of Washington County with Shriner related activities. Hagerstown Shrine Club has produced several Potentates of Ali Ghan.
Ali Ghan has numerous units and clubs in addition to the Hagerstown Shrine Club and Frontier Shrine Club (Frederick, MD).